[Wikisource-l] Can any local language Wikisource release their few books in CC BY-NC-ND 3.0
Jayanta Nath
2018-02-04 10:31:18 UTC
Dear All,

I need some clarification. I know that Wikisource release our content CC
BY-SA 3.0. Can any local language Wikisource release their few books in CC
BY-NC-ND 3.0. ( Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported) by
approving by the local policy?? OR We have to approved by WMF.

Regards,
Jayanta Nath
Nicolas VIGNERON
2018-02-04 12:29:52 UTC
(quickly as I'm not on my computer)

Indeed, local projects can have an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) :
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Non-free_content but this is not something
really encouraged.

Can you maybe provide some context, why do you need CC BY-NC-ND?

Cdlt, ~nicolas
Jayanta Nath
2018-02-04 12:35:34 UTC
I have met few Bengali Writer and family member of writer who had died. .

Few of them ready to give us for permission to us. But they are not to
agree to release it Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>; https://
creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Their main concern about commercial use of their text, if derivative in
translation, it will be not any issue of them. They have no issue for
published at Wikisource. So what should be the licence and how we
published in Bengali Wikisource?

But they are ready to release all their book at
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). https://creativecommons.org/
licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or any equal license.
billinghurst
2018-02-04 13:13:45 UTC
Below is part of your answer, the statements are old and may be more
statements that official policy of the board. If you want a direct
answer for the Foundation's existing policy, then I would suggest
writing to ***@wikimedia.org and ask for them to direct you to the
current policy.

-- billinghurst

https://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Copyright_policy
Non-commercial licenses
Although Wikisource itself does not make commercial use of works, its
license does allow redistributors to make such commercial use.
Therefore, works with non-commercial licenses are prohibited from
Wikisource.

Such licenses are prohibited by decision of the President of the
Wikimedia Foundation, as indicated by the 2004 message by Jimbo Wales
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_Wales> entitled "WikiEN-l, Use of
noncommercial-only images
<http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2004-April/012156.html>".
In 2006, Jimbo Wales explicitly confirmed in #wikimedia
<irc://irc.freenode.net/#wikimedia> that this decision applied to
Wikisource, declaring that "Noncommercial-only licenses are basically
the same thing as torturing kittens." Angela
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Angela>, board member, has also
explicitly stated noncommercial licenses are unacceptable; see
"Foundation-l, Juriwiki-l, Re: Copyright complaints
<http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-February/006015.html>".

I have met few Bengali Writer and family member of writer who had died.
.
Few of them ready to give us for permission to us. But they are not to
agree to release it Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>;
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>
Their main concern about commercial use of their text, if derivative in
translation, it will be not any issue of them. They have no issue for
published at Wikisource. So what should be the licence and how we
published in Bengali Wikisource?
But they are ready to release all their book at
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/> or any equal
license.