[Wikisource-l] wavy line
balaji
2018-01-04 16:56:24 UTC
Hello all,
For a book I am proof reading there is a requirement to
create wavy line. The link for the page is https://ta.wikisource.org/s/6du

The wavy line is appearing in many pages.

Is there any template to create this effect.?

Regards,
J. Balaji.
(User:Balajijagadesh)
mathieu stumpf guntz
2018-01-04 21:47:06 UTC
You might use a simple wavy dash : 〰, with as many as you want 〰〰〰〰.
Creating a template like {{wavy-dash|repeat=80}} should be too
difficult. Will you need help for that, if this solution is fine for you?
Alex Brollo
2018-01-04 22:19:43 UTC
I think that repeating a character isn't a clean solution - it would be
difficult to get an "elastic" covering of 100% of page width. I'd use a
background instead.

Alex

Andy Mabbett
2018-01-04 22:16:43 UTC
Post by balaji
For a book I am proof reading there is a requirement to
create wavy line. The link for the page is https://ta.wikisource.org/s/6du
The wavy line is appearing in many pages.
Is there any template to create this effect.?
Why not just use a straight horizontal rue? It's styling, not content,
and conveys no significant meaning.
Alex Brollo
2018-01-04 23:09:48 UTC
Post by Andy Mabbett
Why not just use a straight horizontal rue? It's styling, not content,
and conveys no significant meaning.
I respectfully disagree - *works *are content, *editions *are contens plus
styling IMHO.
Bodhisattwa Mandal

David Starner
2018-01-05 03:12:41 UTC
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Andy Mabbett
Why not just use a straight horizontal rue? It's styling, not content,
and conveys no significant meaning.
I respectfully disagree - *works *are content, *editions *are contens
plus styling IMHO.
Most significant editions have different content, and PDFs can maintain
most of the styling of the original (but not the paper, the weight, gold
leaf, etc.). Once you start transcribing the text, you're creating a new
edition. How close you want to try and maintain the styling is something
that each Wikisource and each Wikisorcerer needs to decide, probably even
on a edition by edition basis.

In this case, a straight horizontal rule is likely as good as a curved
line, but that depends on details of the work and what the editors involved
want.
Andy Mabbett
2018-01-05 11:51:57 UTC
Post by Andy Mabbett
Why not just use a straight horizontal rue? It's styling, not content,
and conveys no significant meaning.
I respectfully disagree - works are content, editions are contens plus
styling IMHO.
In that case, what does the wavy line /mean/? How would you convey
that meaning to a non-visual user?
--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
balaji
2018-01-05 16:42:28 UTC
Hello every one,
Thanks for everyone taking effort to reply. I
tried various solutions.

Repeating a single character wouldnt be desirable. Because the effect
wouldnt be same for different screen sizes.

I tried the custom rule template. But with the parameters i could do, I
could only produce a wavy line of short length. Is there a way to create
the wave effect for full length like a line?

I tried a solution by Alex. It seems to work okay in firefox. But doesnt
look good in chrome.

As people pointed out, the shape of the line doesnt convey any meaning. Its
true. Just wanted to try if there is any easy way to format to look as its
original. If not possible going to use a simple straight line.

Thanks

J. Balaji

(User:Balajijagadesh <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Balajijagadesh>)
Alex Brollo
2018-01-05 16:53:17 UTC
Let's try too with backgrounds, I'll test using my tamil wikisource
user.common.css, then you will export into MediaWiki:Common.css if I'll get
a decent result.

Alex
)
balaji

Bodhisattwa Mandal
2018-01-05 17:11:04 UTC
For custom rule, you can use as many w|40 parameter as you like to get full
length wave.

Best,

On 5 Jan 2018 10:30 pm, "balaji" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
balaji
2018-01-05 17:35:39 UTC
Hi Bodhisattwa Mandal,

Thanks for replying back.

Actually since the screen size of the reader is not know it would be best
if there is some kind of auto width solution. For example a horizontal
straight line created with template:rule. The width of the line is auto. If
I use many w|40 parameter there might be chances of overflow or underflow.

Thanks & Regards,
J. Balaji.