(no subject)
Add Reply
Bodhisattwa Mandal
2018-10-01 03:29:53 UTC
Hi all,

We are happy to announce that, three Bengali Wikisource Awareness Campaign
videos have been released in Youtube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK_fhMDPgSjGGaGGvY4A38Q> of West Bengal
Wikimedians user Group
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/West_Bengal_Wikimedians>. This campaign
was first such initiative to promote Wikisource among new readers.

The project was first placed in IdeaLab
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Awareness_video_for_Bengali_Wikisource>
as part of Inspire Campaign and was later funded by Wikimedia Foundation rapid
grant
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/WBG/Awareness_video_for_Bengali_Wikisource>.
The details can be found here
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Wikisource_Awareness_Campaign>.

The youtube links of the short videos can be found here -
* àŠ²à§‡ àŠ¹àŠŸàŠ²à§àŠ¯àŠŒàŠŸ
(What just
happened)
* àŠ®àŠŸàŠ¯àŠŒà§‡àŠ° àŠšàŠœàŠ° http://youtu.be/IU3O9AC5Z3g (Watchful eyes)
http://youtu.be/IU3O9AC5Z3g * àŠŠà§àŠšàŠ¿àŠ¯àŠŒàŠŸ àŠ¯àŠ–àŠš àŠŠà§‹àŠ°àŠ—à§‹àŠ¡àŠŒàŠŸàŠ¯àŠŒ
http://youtu.be/IU3O9AC5Z3g (World at your doorstep)

The videos were also uploaded to Commons. The links are as follows-
* àŠ²à§‡ àŠ¹àŠŸàŠ²à§àŠ¯àŠŒàŠŸ
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:àŠ²à§‡_àŠ¹àŠŸàŠ²à§àŠ¯àŠŒàŠŸ_(àŠ‰àŠ‡àŠ•àŠ¿àŠžàŠ‚àŠ•àŠ²àŠš_àŠžàŠšà§‡àŠ€àŠšàŠ€àŠŸ_àŠ­àŠ¿àŠ¡àŠ¿àŠ“).webm>
(What just happened)
* àŠ®àŠŸàŠ¯àŠŒà§‡àŠ° àŠšàŠœàŠ° <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:àŠ®àŠŸàŠ¯àŠŒà§‡àŠ°_àŠšàŠœàŠ°.webm>
(Watchful eyes)
* àŠŠà§àŠšàŠ¿àŠ¯àŠŒàŠŸ àŠ¯àŠ–àŠš àŠŠà§‹àŠ°àŠ—à§‹àŠ¡àŠŒàŠŸàŠ¯àŠŒ
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:àŠŠà§àŠšàŠ¿àŠ¯àŠŒàŠŸ_àŠ¯àŠ–àŠš_àŠŠà§‹àŠ°àŠ—à§‹àŠ¡àŠŒàŠŸàŠ¯àŠŒ.webm>
(World at your doorstep)

The video production could have not been possible without -
* Director - Ishan Sharma (Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute,
Kolkata)
* Cinematographer - Sukhansaar Singh (do)
* Executive Producer - Aryaman Nath (do)
* Sound Director - Sukrit Sen (do)
* Focus Puller - Theodros Tadesse (Ethiopia)
* Assistant Director - Sneha Das (do)
* Editor - Himangshu Kamble (Mumbai)
* Colorist - Pankaj Nelson (Mumbai)
* Plot proposer - Deepanjan Ghosh (Radio Mirchi Kolkata)
* Cast - Sujan Ghosh, Suavo Mukherjee, Ritam Sarkar, Raja Chakravorty,
Shrabanti Bhattacharya and Avinash
- * Bengali Wikisource team - Bodhisattwa Mandal, Hrishikes Sen, Mahir
Morshed, Jayanta Nath
- * WMF liaison - Satdeep Gill (Thanks a lot, buddy!)

It was a completely new experience for us, and we have learnt a lot from
the entire project. We will try to promote the videos for next 1 month and
submit our grant report within the deadline of 30 October, 2018.

Please do watch the videos and feel free to create subtitles in your
languages. The English and Bengali subtitles are already there in Youtube
and Commons.

Enjoy!!

Thanks,
Bodhisattwa
Bengali Wikisource community
West Bengal Wikimedians User Group
Bodhisattwa
Abhinav srivastava
2018-10-01 03:38:39 UTC
Hi Bodhisattwa,

I saw these videos last evening, they are actually very nicely done.

I have a very minor concern which I have also posted under the comments
section and reached out to you last evening.

In ‘What just happened’ video, can we drop ’whatsapp’ placed just ahead of
fake news. If possible dubb it to online fake news or simply mute it.

I am not a lawyer and not sure on legal issues. Someone can better reflect
on the matter of taking names of Internet organisation outside our
movement.

When Hindi promotional video was made by WMF, The Hindi community members
on the table made a common consensus on not taking names.

Again, it could be a very minor issue and may not hold much relevance.

Abhinav
* àŠ²à§‡ àŠ¹àŠŸàŠ²à§àŠ¯àŠŒàŠŸ http://youtu.be/IU3O9AC5Z3g (What just
Bodhisattwa
Bodhisattwa Mandal
2018-10-01 03:59:43 UTC
Abhinav,

Thanks for the comment. Your concern is duly noted, but as the video
editing has already been done by the production team, we cannot do any
changes now, even if we like to.

Whatsapp fake news is a real thing, and this video is not the first time,
where it has been mentioned. It has been featured in many news channels and
print media. Few examples are -
*
https://indianexpress.com/article/business/a-whatsapp-message-destroyed-firm-value-5378286/
from Indian Express
* https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-45140158 from BBC
* http://time.com/5352516/india-whatsapp-fake-news/ from TIME

Even Whatsapp also admits that this is a problem and they have tried to
counter it in different ways. For eg. -
*
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/whatsapp-kicks-off-radio-campaigns-in-india-to-tackle-fake-news/article24811417.ece
from The HIndu
*
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/whatsapp-says-working-with-reliance-jio-to-curb-fake-news-menace-1922221
from NDTV
*
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/software/whatsapp-to-train-users-on-dangers-of-fake-news/articleshow/65594316.cms
From India Times

Thanks,
Bodhisattwa
Post by Abhinav srivastava
Hi Bodhisattwa,
I saw these videos last evening, they are actually very nicely done.
I have a very minor concern which I have also posted under the comments
section and reached out to you last evening.
In ‘What just happened’ video, can we drop ’whatsapp’ placed just ahead of
fake news. If possible dubb it to online fake news or simply mute it.
I am not a lawyer and not sure on legal issues. Someone can better reflect
on the matter of taking names of Internet organisation outside our
movement.
When Hindi promotional video was made by WMF, The Hindi community members
on the table made a common consensus on not taking names.
Again, it could be a very minor issue and may not hold much relevance.
Abhinav
Bodhisattwa
Bodhisattwa Mandal
2018-10-01 04:09:50 UTC
Sorry,

The links of the youtube videos were not correctly shared by me previously.
I am sharing them again.

* àŠ²à§‡ àŠ¹àŠŸàŠ²à§àŠ¯àŠŒàŠŸ http://youtu.be/IU3O9AC5Z3g (What just
happened)
* àŠ®àŠŸàŠ¯àŠŒà§‡àŠ° àŠšàŠœàŠ°

[...]