[Wikisource-l] IA Upload fixes
Sam Wilson
2017-11-29 07:47:48 UTC
Hi all,

I've fixed a couple of issues with IA Upload:

* Some uploads, probably mostly from BUB, were running foul of the abuse
filter because they included a link to books.google.com. This link is
now being replaced prior to upload by the {{Google Book Search link}}
template (which is an ID template, not so much a search template).

* The attempt to find a creator template on Commons now discards date
ranges.

* Attempts to use the tool on items that don't have DjVu, PDF, or JP2
Zip files will now fail. I'm not sure what people who were attempting to
make DjVus of MP3s were thinking, but they'll get a nicer error message
now.

I dare say I'm broken something along the way, so do keep an eye out for
weirdnesses and let me know.

Thanks,
sam.
mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-12-02 22:03:50 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
* Attempts to use the tool on items that don't have DjVu, PDF, or JP2
Zip files will now fail. I'm not sure what people who were attempting to
make DjVus of MP3s were thinking, but they'll get a nicer error message
now.
Apart from the file format, which was under some patent issues until
last year and should be soon be available to Commons (if not yet), what
would be the problem with uploading the file to Commons? All the more,
some books might have sound component. My daughter have a whole library
of that kind. She also have plenty of book with tactile data which often
make me wonder how we would integrate such a book in Wikisource, as I'm
not aware of any technology to render that kind of data linked to the
material texture. Defining a file format to store that kind of data
would be surely the easy part, all the more when "digital texture" is a
topic already extensively covered in the literature for 3D rendering
purpose.

Just sharing some thoughts

Sam Wilson
2017-12-03 00:47:20 UTC
I agree there might be some work to do at some future point when
we're trying to import mixed-media works into Wikisource, but I'm
afraid for now the sole purpose of ia-upload is to convert IA scans
of books into DjVus. MP3s or any other non-text work cannot be
converted with this tool.
Have you tried using it? Did you notice any problems?

— Sam.
Post by mathieu stumpf guntz
Post by Sam Wilson
* Attempts to use the tool on items that don't have DjVu, PDF, or JP2
Zip files will now fail. I'm not sure what people who were
attempting to make DjVus of MP3s were thinking, but they'll get a
nicer error message now.> Apart from the file format, which was under some patent issues until

Jayanta Nath

mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-12-03 20:40:20 UTC
No. I don't have a book I would like to try it in mind, and I guess it
would be pointless to import an random book on which I don't plane to
work, wouldn't it?

Right I would have been interested to find works of Charlotte Pulvers
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Pulvers>, especially Elzasaj
Legendoj <https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elzasaj_Legendoj>, but actually
I'm not even completely sure the book is in public domain as I didn't
found her vital records.

Cheers

ankry.wiki
2017-12-04 11:41:06 UTC
As published in 1914 it is PD in US.
Its copyright status in Gernany (published in Dresden) is probably unclear, so it should not be uploaded to Commons.

It can be uploaded locally to oldwikisource and, likely, to some other wikis that recognize US copyright status only.

Ankry

W dniu 2017-12-03 21:40:20 uÅŒytkownik mathieu stumpf guntz <***@culture-libre.org> napisał:
No. I don't have a book I would like to try it in mind, and I guess it would be pointless to import an random book on which I don't plane to work, wouldn't it?
Right I would have been interested to find works of Charlotte Pulvers, especially Elzasaj Legendoj, but actually I'm not even completely sure the book is in public domain as I didn't found her vital records.
Cheers

mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-12-04 23:46:58 UTC
Post by ankry.wiki
As published in 1914 it is PD in US.
Doesn't that apply only to books published in US?
Post by ankry.wiki
Its copyright status in Gernany (published in Dresden) is probably
unclear, so it should not be uploaded to Commons.
Its copyright status in Europe depends on Charlotte vital records, but
so far I was not able to find any related data, especially her death
date. If anyone have ideas about where I might found them, I open to
suggestions.
Post by ankry.wiki
It can be uploaded locally to oldwikisource and, likely, to some other
wikis that recognize US copyright status only.
Good to know.

David Starner
2017-12-05 07:48:49 UTC
On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:47 PM mathieu stumpf guntz <
Post by ankry.wiki
As published in 1914 it is PD in US.
Doesn't that apply only to books published in US?
No. It is generally accepted, including by the US Copyright Office, en.WS
and Wikimedia Commons, that works legally published anywhere in the world
before 1923 are out of copyright in the US.

(The 9th Circuit of the US Federal Court has ruled that "published" only
includes in the US (which, in case of a pre-2002 publication in the US,
could still mean that works are copyrighted in the US for 95 years from US
publication or until 2047, depending), but nobody else accepts that and I
believe Mike Godwin was happy to have a case on the matter to take to the
Supreme Court, so the WMF might be happy with such a case.)