Fwd: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Your help needed: Community Wishlist Survey 2016
Thomas PT
2016-11-08 09:06:08 UTC
Hello everyone,

The Wikimedia Foundation Community Tech team has launched a new "Community Wishlist Survey".
Last year survey allowed us to get WMF staff time to work on using Google OCR in Wikisource that allowed some Indian languages Wikisources to raise and on VisualEditor support.

Please, take time to submit new wishes and comment them. It could be simple things (e.g. a new gadget for a specific workflow) or very complicated ones (e.g. native TEI support).

Cheers,

Thomas

Début du message réexpédié :

De: Johan Jönsson <***@wikimedia.org<mailto:***@wikimedia.org>>
Objet: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Your help needed: Community Wishlist Survey 2016
Date: 7 novembre 2016 à 20:26:21 UTC+1
À: Wikitech Ambassadors <wikitech-***@lists.wikimedia.org<mailto:wikitech-***@lists.wikimedia.org>>
Répondre à: Coordination of technology deployments across languages/projects <wikitech-***@lists.wikimedia.org<mailto:wikitech-***@lists.wikimedia.org>>

Hi everyone,

Last year, the Community Tech team did a survey for a community wishlist to decide what we shoudl be working on throughout the year. Since it's useful to have a list of tasks from the Wikimedia communities, it's also been used by other developers, been the focus of Wikimedia hackathons and so on. In short, I think it matters.

Now we're doing the process again.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey

If you'd feel like spreading this in your communities, it would be much appreciated.

*) This is when you can suggest things. This phase will last from 7 November to 20 November.
*) Editors who are not comfortable writing in English can write proposals in their language.
*) Voting will take place 28 November to 12 December.

Thanks,

//Johan Jönsson
David Cuenca Tudela
2016-11-08 14:08:50 UTC
Hi Thomas,

thanks for bringing that up! I wrote a proposal to finish the work
retrieving the language links from several editions and represent them in
wikisource as language links.

To write or vote exiting Wikisource proposals, the link is:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource

Cheers,
Micru
Post by Thomas PT
Hello everyone,
The Wikimedia Foundation Community Tech team has launched a new "Community
Wishlist Survey".
Last year survey allowed us to get WMF staff time to work on using Google
OCR in Wikisource that allowed some Indian languages Wikisources to raise
and on VisualEditor support.
Please, take time to submit new wishes and comment them. It could be
simple things (e.g. a new gadget for a specific workflow) or very
complicated ones (e.g. native TEI support).
Cheers,
Thomas
*Objet: **[Wikitech-ambassadors] Your help needed: Community Wishlist
Survey 2016*
Etiamsi omnes, ego non
Sam Wilson
2016-11-09 00:03:30 UTC
Huzza for Wikisource; we've currently got more proposals than any of the
other categories (not that it's a competition, but still...).

@Micru: this whole topic of how to represent bibliographic data in WD
and properly link it in Wikisource is great! I'm looking forward to
helping. :-)

—sam
Post by David Cuenca Tudela
Hi Thomas,
thanks for bringing that up! I wrote a proposal to finish the work
retrieving the language links from several editions and represent them
in wikisource as language links.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource
Cheers,
Micru
On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Thomas PT
Post by Thomas PT
Hello everyone,
The Wikimedia Foundation Community Tech team has launched a new
"Community Wishlist Survey".
Last year survey allowed us to get WMF staff time to work on using
Google OCR in Wikisource that allowed some Indian languages
Wikisources to raise and on VisualEditor support.
Please, take time to submit new wishes and comment them. It could be
simple things (e.g. a new gadget for a specific workflow) or very
complicated ones (e.g. native TEI support).
Cheers,
Thomas
*Objet: **[Wikitech-ambassadors] Your help needed: Community
Wishlist Survey 2016*
Alex Brollo
2016-11-09 08:50:57 UTC
I too could add *some* proposals.... but the first one could be a deep
revision of nsPage edit interface to got the goal "fixed tools, almost full
screen scrolling text & image". In the meantime, I'm go on testing
FullScreenEditing.js by Sam, that presently is an excellent, running step
approximating such a goal.

Alex
Sam Wilson
2016-11-10 05:09:00 UTC
Thanks Alex :) It's a minor project so far, but I reckon the work you've
been doing on making a better, bigger, more proofreading-focused
interface is really good. Do stick a proposal up!

So far, we've got:

* Add a 'clean' method for side-titles, and side notes to parser
* A spelling- and typo-checking system for proofreading
* Visual Editor menu refresh
* upload text wizard
* Language links in Wikisource for edition items in Wikidata
* Display subpage name in category
* Make Special:IndexPage transcludeable
* Fix Extension:Cite to get rid of foibles

If anyone's got half-formed ideas, I'd encourage you to post something,
or just post to this mailing list, and we can all have a chat about it.
:)

—sam
I too could add *some* proposals.... but the first one could be a deep revision of nsPage edit interface to got the goal "fixed tools, almost full screen scrolling text & image". In the meantime, I'm go on testing FullScreenEditing.js by Sam, that presently is an excellent, running  step approximating such a goal.
Alex
__
Andrea Zanni
2016-11-10 09:14:13 UTC
I don't know how to structure it, but with Wikimedia Italia and
the Italian Wikisource community we talked a lot about the "upload tool"
from Internet Archive

The idea is that, from at least 4-5 years, it's a good practice to upload
the books
into Internet Archive, and then use the djvu.
This year, as you all know, djvu support has been discontinued by IA: right
now, there is only the PDF.
Tpt solved the issue in the IA upload tool, but unfortunately the quality
of the new djvu is often not sufficient.

Here's what we could do:
* rewrite and integrate Alex's DJVU script into the tool:
https://gist.github.com/alexbrollo/cc3c187172ac848bd896ecb2b812dc51 (the
script produces an high-quality djvu)
* create a better GUI for the system
* discuss all together for having a much simpler tool/workflow for newbies,
integrated with Commons, Wikidata, Wikisource

Inserting stuff into Internet Archive is relatively easy, and that is good:
we can let them the difficult part, and we can just

Right now, there are at least 3-4 libraries in Italy with open partnerships
with Wikimedia Italia, which want to upload books on Wikisource. A good,
simple workflow could help many institutions around the world to do the
same, and work with the community to proofread texts. It's a good way to
get both some quality texts and new committed editors and visibility.
Post by Alex Brollo
I too could add *some* proposals.... but the first one could be a deep
revision of nsPage edit interface to got the goal "fixed tools, almost full
screen scrolling text & image". In the meantime, I'm go on testing
FullScreenEditing.js by Sam, that presently is an excellent, running step
approximating such a goal.
Post by Alex Brollo
Alex
__
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Sam Wilson
@Micru: this whole topic of how to represent bibliographic data in WD
and properly link it in Wikisource is great! I'm looking forward to
helping. :-)
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Sam Wilson
—sam
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by David Cuenca Tudela
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_
Survey/Categories/Wikisource
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by David Cuenca Tudela
Cheers,
Micru
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by David Cuenca Tudela
Post by Thomas PT
Please, take time to submit new wishes and comment them. It could be
simple things (e.g. a new gadget for a specific workflow) or very
complicated ones (e.g. native TEI support).
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by David Cuenca Tudela
Post by Thomas PT
Cheers,
Thomas
Post by Thomas PT
Wishlist Survey 2016*
Post by Alex Brollo
Post by Sam Wilson
mathieu stumpf guntz
2016-11-10 16:27:25 UTC
Hmm, at the conference I think someone was interested in a feature to
make comments on texts, like you can make on some word processors for
example. That may be interesting, but how you render the result might be
a huge user interface problem. One should be able to choose whom
comments should be visible

Otherwise, I would still be happy to have more flexibable way to "rate"
a page. That is, a page might be text proof readed, but laking some css,
or a picture should be extracted etc. Having a way to see that for all
pages in the book: namespace would be fine.

ĝis baldaŭ
Sam Wilson
2016-11-11 07:32:05 UTC
That sounds really interesting! Do you mean as a way for people
unfamiliar with Wikisource to easily contribute notes and corrections?
On the face of things, it could perhaps work by storing the notes in a
the Page_talk namspace and doing some clever thing to display them on
the Page (and perhaps in main) namespaces.

It seems like it'd be cool to be able to get "typo reports" or
something, from people who mightn't have any idea of Wikisource other
than that's where they got an epub.

To rate a page, we currently have the various levels of proofreading
quality. Is this not sufficient? And does the current Index page
overview of all of a book's statuses work for you? I sometimes wonder
if we need another rating, above 'validated', that indicates that a
whole book has been read through and (hopefully) any remaining typos
have been found.

—sam

Post by Sam Wilson
Thanks Alex :) It's a minor project so far, but I reckon the work
you've been doing on making a better, bigger, more proofreading-
focused interface is really good. Do stick a proposal up! So far,
we've got: * Add a 'clean' method for side-titles, and side notes to
parser * A spelling- and typo-checking system for proofreading *
Visual Editor menu refresh * upload text wizard * Language links in
Wikisource for edition items in Wikidata * Display subpage name in
category * Make Special:IndexPage transcludeable * Fix Extension:Cite
to get rid of foibles If anyone's got half-formed ideas, I'd
encourage you to post something, or just post to this mailing list,
and we can all have a chat about it. :) —sam On Wed, 9 Nov 2016,
Post by Alex Brollo
I too could add *some* proposals.... but the first one could be a
deep revision of nsPage edit interface to got the goal "fixed tools,
almost full screen scrolling text & image". In the meantime, I'm go
on testing FullScreenEditing.js by Sam, that presently is an
excellent, running step approximating such a goal. Alex 2016-11-
__ Huzza for Wikisource; we've currently got more proposals than
any of the other categories (not that it's a competition, but
bibliographic data in WD and properly link it in Wikisource is
great! I'm looking forward to helping. :-) —sam On Tue, 8 Nov
Hi Thomas, thanks for bringing that up! I wrote a proposal to
finish the work retrieving the language links from several
editions and represent them in wikisource as language links. To
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource
Cheers, Micru On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Thomas PT
Hello everyone, The Wikimedia Foundation Community Tech team has
launched a new "Community Wishlist Survey". Last year survey
allowed us to get WMF staff time to work on using Google OCR in
Wikisource that allowed some Indian languages Wikisources to
raise and on VisualEditor support. Please, take time to submit
new wishes and comment them. It could be simple things (e.g. a
new gadget for a specific workflow) or very complicated ones
(e.g. native TEI support). Cheers, Thomas
Début du message réexpédié : *De: *Johan Jönsson
help needed: Community Wishlist Survey 2016* *Date: *7 novembre
2016 à 20:26:21 UTC+1 *À: *Wikitech Ambassadors <wikitech-
Alex Brollo
2016-11-11 08:17:57 UTC
I'd like to state a "binary page quality" splitting the workflow into its
basic steps (proofreading of text; formatting; adding links;
validating....), t.i. into a set of true/false states, clearly showing the
list of lacking steps. I.e. sometimes I fastly add complex formatting to
rough text, and this results into a exotic "level" proofreading=false,
formatting=true. It's a level 1, but it is deeply different from a level 1
coming from proofreading=true, formatting=false.

Obviously the whole "binary level" could be simply stored as a number, with
useful information into it.

Alex

Sam Wilson
2016-11-11 08:37:08 UTC
Yes, makes sense! Or a series of attributes like:

proofread once?
proofread twice?
formatted?
all images added?
hyperlinked?
transcluded?
read in context with other pages?
etc.

Only some of which need be linear.

And only when all are done is the thing considered bonzer. :-)

—sam
Post by Alex Brollo
I'd like to state a "binary page quality" splitting the workflow into
its basic steps (proofreading of text; formatting; adding links;
validating....), t.i. into a set of true/false states, clearly showing
the list of lacking steps. I.e. sometimes I fastly add complex
formatting to rough text, and this results into a exotic "level"
proofreading=false, formatting=true. It's a level 1, but it is deeply
different from a level 1 coming from proofreading=true,
formatting=false.
Obviously the whole "binary level" could be simply stored as a number,
with useful information into it.
Alex
__

Post by Sam Wilson
Thanks Alex :) It's a minor project so far, but I reckon the work
you've been doing on making a better, bigger, more proofreading-
focused interface is really good. Do stick a proposal up! So far,
we've got: * Add a 'clean' method for side-titles, and side notes
to parser * A spelling- and typo-checking system for proofreading *
Visual Editor menu refresh * upload text wizard * Language links in
Wikisource for edition items in Wikidata * Display subpage name in
category * Make Special:IndexPage transcludeable * Fix
Extension:Cite to get rid of foibles If anyone's got half-formed
ideas, I'd encourage you to post something, or just post to this
mailing list, and we can all have a chat about it. :) —sam On
Post by Alex Brollo
I too could add *some* proposals.... but the first one could be a
deep revision of nsPage edit interface to got the goal "fixed
tools, almost full screen scrolling text & image". In the
meantime, I'm go on testing FullScreenEditing.js by Sam, that
presently is an excellent, running step approximating such a
goal. Alex 2016-11-09 1:03 GMT+01:00 Sam Wilson
Alex Brollo

Andrea Zanni
2016-11-11 09:00:23 UTC
I remember when we tried to make a partnership with a scholar who works
with ancient texts.
He needed some Italian translation of Greek texts in Wikisource, but he was
much more interested in validated/proofread text *without* formatting, than
the contrary.
75% for us is formatted, always.
But, arguably, for people it's easier to correct typos and proofread than
format with strange templates and codes. We always assume that people know
how Wikisource works, how wikicode works, etc.

A brand new quality workflow could be beneficial.

Aubrey

Sam Wilson
2016-11-11 09:23:03 UTC
Yes, this is PGDP's approach. They have two rounds of proofreading-only,
before any formatting of any sort is applied. The beginner proofreaders
start without formatting.

When it comes to comparative text analysis, Wikisource makes things
pretty hard, that's for sure. I mean, has anyone tried finding all the
extra commas in a Jane Austen first edition vs a modern edition? (It's
considerably different.) But not something we can do all that easily.
Post by Andrea Zanni
I remember when we tried to make a partnership with a scholar who
works with ancient texts.
He needed some Italian translation of Greek texts in Wikisource, but
he was much more interested in validated/proofread text *without*
formatting, than the contrary.
75% for us is formatted, always.
But, arguably, for people it's easier to correct typos and proofread
than format with strange templates and codes. We always assume that
people know how Wikisource works, how wikicode works, etc.
A brand new quality workflow could be beneficial.
Aubrey
On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Alex Brollo
Post by Alex Brollo
.... coupled with a KISSing approach it could run perhaps.... :-)
Alex
__
Post by Alex Brollo
I'd like to state a "binary page quality" splitting the workflow
into its basic steps (proofreading of text; formatting; adding
links; validating....), t.i. into a set of true/false states,
clearly showing the list of lacking steps. I.e. sometimes I fastly
add complex formatting to rough text, and this results into a
exotic "level" proofreading=false, formatting=true. It's a level
1, but it is deeply different from a level 1 coming from
proofreading=true, formatting=false.
Obviously the whole "binary level" could be simply stored as a
number, with useful information into it.
Alex
__

Post by Sam Wilson
Thanks Alex :) It's a minor project so far, but I reckon the
work you've been doing on making a better, bigger, more proofreading-
focused interface is really good. Do stick a proposal up! So
far, we've got: * Add a 'clean' method for side-titles, and
side notes to parser * A spelling- and typo-checking system for
proofreading * Visual Editor menu refresh * upload text wizard *
Language links in Wikisource for edition items in Wikidata *
Display subpage name in category * Make Special:IndexPage
transcludeable * Fix Extension:Cite to get rid of foibles If
anyone's got half-formed ideas, I'd encourage you to post
something, or just post to this mailing list, and we can all
have a chat about it. :) —sam On Wed, 9 Nov 2016, at 04:50
Post by Alex Brollo
[...]
Your help needed: Community Wishlist Survey 2016* *Date: *7
Alex Brollo
2016-11-11 09:44:02 UTC
Perhaps the logics could be reversed - t.i. with a list of todo specific
steps *needed* for a specific page; "This page needs proofreading? yes/no;
needs formatting? yes/no; needs image managing? yes/no; and so on. With
this approach, a new page could have all steps *flagged*, bus some could be
immediately unflagged, since the page doesn't need the step (if a page has
no picture indside, theres'n any need for image managing). So, a level 4
page will be by definition *a page with no pending flag*, and it will be
very simple to categorize them for pending flags.

Alex

mathieu stumpf guntz
2016-11-11 21:02:08 UTC
Post by Alex Brollo
I'd like to state a "binary page quality" splitting the workflow into
its basic steps (proofreading of text; formatting; adding links;
validating....), t.i. into a set of true/false states, clearly showing
the list of lacking steps. I.e. sometimes I fastly add complex
formatting to rough text, and this results into a exotic "level"
proofreading=false, formatting=true. It's a level 1, but it is deeply
different from a level 1 coming from proofreading=true, formatting=false.
That's closer to the idea I had in mind. :)

Alex Brollo
2016-11-13 14:08:10 UTC
Well, I'll try.... It's something that can be done locally just to test it.
IMHO it's only to hide level radiobuttons, replace them with a brief list
of checkboxes, then to use their values to state their result into canonic
level 0-4, and to save them somewhere into the page code with some clever
trick.

I presume that a template could do the work (the resulting code could be
simply {{level|0|0|1|0|....}} or more verbose, with named parameters) and,
at the same time, the template could generate categories.

Alex

mathieu stumpf guntz
2016-11-11 21:00:24 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
That sounds really interesting! Do you mean as a way for people
unfamiliar with Wikisource to easily contribute notes and corrections?
On the face of things, it could perhaps work by storing the notes in a
the Page_talk namspace and doing some clever thing to display them on
the Page (and perhaps in main) namespaces.
Sounds a good initial implementation path. Users may also would like to
make more "personal" text comments, in which case storing them in User
namespace might be more appropriate.
Post by Sam Wilson
It seems like it'd be cool to be able to get "typo reports" or
something, from people who mightn't have any idea of Wikisource other
than that's where they got an epub.
To rate a page, we currently have the various levels of proofreading
quality. Is this not sufficient?
Well, at least I would appreciate something more modular. Thinking about
it, I may just use some categories, and maybe some js or lua to generate
what I wish.
Post by Sam Wilson
And does the current Index page overview of all of a book's statuses
work for you?
That's the same. The thing is, I do like to make restitution as accurate
to the original page as I can. That's a work which might be done in
several parallel step. For example page layout, proofreading, and image
extractions might be in different state of completeness. And for example
I do like to have a really accurate page reproduction, so even caesura
is the same in Page namespace, but still render without unnecessary
dashes in main namespace (example
<https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Holbach_-_Le_Christianisme_d%C3%A9voil%C3%A9,_1756.djvu/46>).
But not all contributors have this will. :)
Post by Sam Wilson
I sometimes wonder if we need another rating, above 'validated', that
indicates that a whole book has been read through and (hopefully) any
remaining typos have been found.
My feedback doesn't really suggest a "rating above", but having
separated rates/tags.