[Offline-l] FYI - WMF pausing and deprecating some functionality
Add Reply
Federico Leva (Nemo)
2017-10-11 06:40:08 UTC
In case you're interested, the Foundation will be working to replace OCG
over the coming months. I wanted to make sure you're aware in case you
rely on any of this infrastructure and/or have plans for further
development dependent on it.
What this means in the short term is that PDF book rendering (through
Book Creator) will be shut off for a few months at least while a
suitable replacement is researched, tested, and built.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/PDF_Functionality
Let me know if you have any questions or if this has major impact to
your work.
It does, of course. Wikisource and Wikibooks users sorely need to print
books for offline reading, it's something we keep hearing from anybody
in "real life".

Removing basic functionality and downgrading existing features for no
gain is an excellent long-run method to kill projects like Wikibooks,
Wikisource and Wikiversity whose potential users (such as teachers and
other OER folks) may prefer alternative platforms which show more care.

Nemo
Gerard Meijssen
2017-10-11 08:45:19 UTC
Hoi,
Anne just a question, if this was key functionality for the English
Wikipedia, would you remove this functionality with a promise of "trust us
we are working towards something new" ?? I think not.
Thanks,
GerardM
Here's the full write up: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki
Nicolas VIGNERON
2017-10-11 09:01:57 UTC
Hi everyone,

Maybe I'm misunderstood the situation but I'm not sure to understand the
problem: does anyone use OCG?

I thought that not one use it anymore (if it was ever used... at least onf
the French wikisource it never really worked well as it didn't understand
the 'pages' tag we use on almost all pages) and we have our own
PDF/ePub/mobi generator (https://tools.wmflabs.org/wsexport/tool/book.php).
SO don't we all use WSexport?

I see very few pages on
https://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Special:PrefixIndex&prefix=Wikisource:Books/
, most of them generated a long time ago, so I don't think that this will
have any impact on Wikisource.

Cdlt, ~nicolas
Sam Wilson
2017-10-11 09:56:46 UTC
Yes, I think Nicolas is right. OCG has never really done what Wikisource
needed, and WsExport has (wonderfully). It would of course be brilliant
if the new PDF & epub generation could support Wikisource, but it not
doing so is no different from the existing situation.
Gerard Meijssen
Nicolas VIGNERON
2017-10-11 17:32:28 UTC
Hi Anne,

Thank you for the confirmation.

I've got a question both for you and for the wikisourcerers, do we want and
should we keep using WSexport or should we try to integrate WSexport
functionalities into more general tool? (for the second option, we need to
exchange about our specific needs and desires).

My point of view is that we are quite happy with WSexport right now so we
could say « if it ain't broken don't fix it » but on the other hand the
maintain a specific tool tailored for our specifities but it could be
useful for others and there is always the risk that nobody maintain it
anymore (a more general tool generally - but not always - having more
chances of being maintain).
I'd like to hear you point of view and the point of view of people
maintaining WSexport (mainly our beloved wikisourcerer supreme Tpt ;) )

Cdlt, ~nicolas