Endorsement of the strategy
Andrea Zanni
2017-10-26 10:06:37 UTC
If it's ok for you, today I will endorse the new Wikimedia strategy[1]
on behalf of the Wikisource Community User Group.
I participated in the early drafting of the strategy (until May-June), but
later on unfortunately I didn't follow it closely.
I think the new strategy is open enough to be include a lot of what we do
in Wikisource, and I hope that this will lead to increased support from
Wikimedia Foundation and Chapters to our project.

Aubrey

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Direction#Our_strategic_direction:_Service_and_Equity
Nicolas VIGNERON
2017-10-26 10:11:57 UTC
Hi,

It's more than ok for me. I think that Wikisource could *greatly* benefit
from that direction.

Cdlt, ~nicolas
Federico Leva (Nemo)
2017-10-26 14:24:16 UTC
I think that Wikisource could *greatly* benefit from that direction.
What part(s) specifically?

Federico
Nicolas VIGNERON
2017-10-26 15:23:25 UTC
Post by Federico Leva (Nemo)
I think that Wikisource could *greatly* benefit from that direction.
What part(s) specifically?
Federico
Hi,

Tough question! hard to say specifically but, here some of my random
thoughts:
- first, the whole process was incredible: very inclusive, collective and
broad (and not just for the « English Wikipedia » as it happens too often ;
even if I know that some exchanges have been heated on the French
wikisource, at least there was exchange), it not meaningless as it can
really be seen in the end result (look at all the footnote with so much
more information!)
- the direction itself :
-- is quite obvious (and it's not a bad point for me, it's always good to
remind some basics and to determine our strengths, and at least it's not
disruptive which can be quite bullshity and can make the community afraid ;
in the end, it feels very natural to me, like something I could have
written myself)
-- stress on the need to open more, towards new public, new systems, etc.
and to improve what already exist on that matter

As Wikisoure rely heavily on external resources (both in entry : scans on
digital libraries, tools like BUB and in exit : tools like WSexport), it's
even more important for us to know that building and improving relationship
with our allies is a direction of the movement.

Cdlt, ~nicolas
Federico Leva (Nemo)
2017-10-26 15:39:50 UTC
Post by Nicolas VIGNERON
Tough question! hard to say specifically but, here some of my random
Thanks. I'll try to re-read the whole thing with your points as an
additional map/lense for it. What I saw previously was more "ondivago":
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search="sister+projects"+prefix%3A"Talk%3AStrategy%2FWikimedia+movement%2F2017">

Federico

Sam Wilson
Thomas Pellissier Tanon

mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-10-26 14:11:41 UTC
I don't think the endorsement in itself is of great importance, in the
sense that it's broad enough to both rise general consensus in the
community and have no significant commitment consequences (so far, we
will see what the next phase will come out with).

But showing the existence and activeness of the Wikisource Community
User Group seems a good idea. Actually I think it makes far more sense
for thematic groups than for the usual suspect like chapters.

So, as far as I'm concerned, yes it's ok and thank you for doing so.