Fwd: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2018 - Registration closes in one month!
mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-12-15 20:33:29 UTC
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to make sure there will be some wikisourcerers at this
event. Is that so?

2017-12-15 21:38:51 UTC
Me and Tpt were there last year,
and I'm available if the User Group is ok with that, but maybe others would
like to go
representing the WCUG?

The Conference is a matter of talking, talking, talking with a lot of
people,
and convincing Sam's boss to let him work for Wikisource ;-)

Sam Wilson
2017-12-16 04:17:57 UTC
hehe yes! do that one! :)
Post by Andrea Zanni
Me and Tpt were there last year,
and I'm available if the User Group is ok with that, but maybe others
would like to go> representing the WCUG?
The Conference is a matter of talking, talking, talking with a lot
of people,> and convincing Sam's boss to let him work for Wikisource ;-)
libre.org> wrote:>> Hi everybody,
Post by mathieu stumpf guntz
I just wanted to make sure there will be some wikisourcerers at this
event. Is that so?>>
-------- Message transféré -------- Sujet : [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia
Conference 2018 - Registration closes in one month! Date : Fri, 15
Dec 2017 14:23:18 +0100 De : Michelle Poltier
mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-12-16 08:21:40 UTC
Post by Andrea Zanni
Me and Tpt were there last year,
and I'm available if the User Group is ok with that, but maybe others
would like to go
representing the WCUG?
If you can both go again that would be great. Otherwise maybe Nicolas
Vigneron and  Federico Leva might represent the WCUG.

In any case I would think interesting to have Bodhisattwa Mandal joining
the party: that would allow to also give more voice to non-western
communities.

Cheers
Federico Leva (Nemo)
2017-12-16 11:00:28 UTC
Post by mathieu stumpf guntz
I just wanted to make sure there will be some wikisourcerers at this
event. Is that so?
If one of the two designated WMIT board members falls sick I might have
to go, otherwise I won't.

The conference is very plethoric nowadays, so I see that 2 persons can
be sent by multiple other user groups having some overlap with
Wikisorcerers:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Digitization_User_Group
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/Tremendous_Wiktionary_User_Group
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Florida_Librarians_of_Wikipedia

Federico
Thomas Pellissier Tanon
2017-12-16 21:31:34 UTC
Me and Tpt were there last year.
The two representatives of the user group last year where Ernest fr.wikisource for the partnership track and Andrea for the strategy track. I was part of the "Invitees for the Movement Strategy Track", mostly talking/thinking about Wikisource during the strategy sessions but not a formal representative of the UG.
If you can both go again that would be great.
I am probably not the best person to talk with people so I believe it would be much better fo the user group to send someone else that would represent the group better. More it would be nice to get new Wikisource people, to attend global events (I already have plenty of occasions to attend such events with my technical hat).
So, I would be in favour to have one person used to such events (like Nicolas, Andrea or Bodhisattwa) and one new person who may be interested by the learning or partnership tracks.
In any case I would think interesting to have Bodhisattwa Mandal joining the party: that would allow to also give more voice to non-western communities.
Big +1 from a person outside of the en, fr, de, it communities.

Cheers,

Thomas
Jayanta Nath
2017-12-16 21:36:49 UTC
If Bodhi will come, that will be pleasure for me. I am coming. I am
representing on behalf of WBG , Wikisource, Bengali Wikisource, Indic
Wikisoure.

Jayanta

Bodhisattwa Mandal
2017-12-17 02:29:14 UTC
Hi,

Thank you for considering me, but I won't be able to attend the conference
this year. Also, I think that I am not at all the suitable person to
represent the Wikisource User Group. The best Wikisourcers are there
leading the Wikisource community globally and fighting for language equity
and I have huge respect to all of them. IMO, it would be best for the
project if these awesome Wikimedians represent the UG in the conference.

Jayanta Nath will be representing West Bengal Wikimedians User Group in the
conference officially and he will be there unofficially for Bengali and
other Indic Wikisource projects too. So, as far as non-Western Wikisource
is concerned, there will be at least one representative, for sure. \o/

Regards,

Bodhisattwa
Bodhisattwa
Nicolas VIGNERON
2017-12-17 11:17:45 UTC
Hi all,

Good to see that a lot of people will be there!

I'm available and I can go to Berlin in April (and I can talk about
'breton', my minority and almost dead language, does it count as
"non-Western"? :P) if the group agrees.

So how should we decide?
Should we vote somewhere (on meta?) or could we do something more simple
like: Andrea and I are going if there is no opposition in seven days? (the
deadline is coming fast and I'll be busy in the coming days)

Cdlt, ~nicolas
mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-12-18 09:19:38 UTC
Post by Nicolas VIGNERON
Hi all,
Good to see that a lot of people will be there!
I'm available and I can go to Berlin in April (and I can talk about
'breton', my minority and almost dead language, does it count as
"non-Western"? :P) if the group agrees.
At least it counts as a minority language I guess. All the more, as said
Bodhisattwa, Jayanta can be at least one voice for the non-Western.
Admittedly it's not much but I don't know were to find statistic about
regional repetitiveness for that kind of event. On a side note, I
already checked that there would be some people able to talk in the name
of ELISo (Esperanto kaj LIbera Scio).
Post by Nicolas VIGNERON
So how should we decide?
Should we vote somewhere (on meta?) or could we do something more
simple like: Andrea and I are going if there is no opposition in seven
days? (the deadline is coming fast and I'll be busy in the coming days)
For me Andrea and yourself are fine. If the deadline is to close, I'm
fine with taking this decision in a "narrow comittee". Afterall the list
is open and accessible for anyone wanting to join.

But in the future it would be probably better from a transparency point
of view to inform more broadly the community through in-wiki mass
message and a consensual decision on Meta or something like that.
Particularly, I agree with Thomas with the importance of integrating new
comers.

Cheers.
balaji
2017-12-18 15:46:38 UTC
Hi all,
Thanks for starting this post. I have been contributing in 'Tamil'
wikisource (ta.ws) for more than a year with admin rights. It sounds the
conference would be interesting as lot of discussions going to take place.
I would be available in April for the conference. Kindly consider my
application for the conference.

Thanks and regards,
J. Balaji
(User:Balajijagadesh)

mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-12-19 07:43:56 UTC
I support this application. Would Andrea or Nicolas mind about that?
Could you try to go there with an other hat?

Cheers
'Tamil' wikisource (ta.ws <http://ta.ws>) for more than a year with
[...]
Le 16 déc. 2017 à 12:00, Federico Leva (Nemo)