Community Wishlist Survey 2016 - Voting period opened
David Cuenca Tudela
2016-11-28 16:16:59 UTC
Hi!

The voting period has been opened. You can see the proposals for Wikisource
and enter your votes here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource

Cheers,
Micru
Sam Wilson
2016-11-29 22:30:55 UTC
And don't forget to vote for your own proposals (otherwise your own
support won't be counted in the tally).

:-)

The top three Wikisource proposals so far are:

Upload Wikisource text wizard[1]

9 Support Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting
(OAI-PMH)[2]

7 Integrate the CIS-LMU Post Correction Tool[3]

4

(Although, of course it's far to early to draw any conclusions
from that.)
Post by David Cuenca Tudela
Hi!
The voting period has been opened. You can see the proposals for
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource
Cheers,
Micru
Links:

1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource#Upload_Wikisource_text_wizard
2. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource#Support_Open_Archives_Initiative_Protocol_for_Metadata_Harvesting_.28OAI-PMH.29
3. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource#Integrate_the_CIS-LMU_Post_Correction_Tool
Andrea Zanni
2016-11-30 09:05:35 UTC
Thanks for the reminder, just voted and commented.

I supported also the OAI-PMH proposal,
but I think it's not the solution, as we already have such a tool and
nobody uses it...
It's years (for me, an entire decade...) that we advocate and propose
solutions for metadata workflow in Wikisource, and as far as I understand,
a big part of it is Wikidata.

IMHO, we should try to put all our descriptive metadata (author, title,
etc.) there, with a good, meaningful structure (we should understand which
metadata are from the ns0 page, which from the Index pages, they are often
different). Then, we could build APIs or other tools on that.
WS search tool was a step in the right direction, but it's a difficult job
and it should be a community effort.

Aubrey
Bodhisattwa Mandal
2016-11-30 12:21:51 UTC
Hi,

There is also a proposal related to Wikisource, but in the Commons category
-

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Commons#Implement_Internet_Archive_BookReader_in_Commons_.26_Wikisource

Regards,
Bodhisattwa
Sam Wilson
2016-11-30 22:47:29 UTC
Really good point, Aubrey. It makes lots of sense to build long-term
tools on Wikidata, because that's where Wikisource metadata (most of it)
will end up. The PMH proposal is in the Wikisource category, because we
rock — no I mean, because we need it most. But it should probably be
build with pulling as much data from Wikidata as it can. If an item gets
left out because it's missing some property in Wikidata, it's easy
enough to fix that. :-)

Oh, and the WS search tool[1] is currently still bombing out when it
tries to do full scrapes of some Wikisources (notably French, but that's
probably because of 'f's place in the alphabet rather than anything
else), so at the moment it's just running twice-daily scrapes on recent
changes on all Wikisources. I'm trying to make it more robust.

—sam

PS The current top-voted proposal (a WS upload wizard) is exciting!
Post by Andrea Zanni
Thanks for the reminder, just voted and commented.
I supported also the OAI-PMH proposal,
but I think it's not the solution, as we already have such a tool and
nobody uses it...
It's years (for me, an entire decade...) that we advocate and propose
solutions for metadata workflow in Wikisource, and as far as I
understand, a big part of it is Wikidata.
IMHO, we should try to put all our descriptive metadata (author,
title, etc.) there, with a good, meaningful structure (we should
understand which metadata are from the ns0 page, which from the Index
pages, they are often different). Then, we could build APIs or other
tools on that.
WS search tool was a step in the right direction, but it's a difficult
job and it should be a community effort.
Aubrey
On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Sam Wilson
Post by Sam Wilson
__
And don't forget to vote for your own proposals (otherwise your own
support won't be counted in the tally).
:-)
Upload Wikisource text wizard[2]
9 Support Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting
(OAI-PMH)[3]
7 Integrate the CIS-LMU Post Correction Tool[4]

1. http://tools.wmflabs.org/ws-search/
2. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource#Upload_Wikisource_text_wizard
3. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource#Support_Open_Archives_Initiative_Protocol_for_Metadata_Harvesting_.28OAI-PMH.29
4. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Wikisource#Integrate_the_CIS-LMU_Post_Correction_Tool