CREDIT showcase
Sam Wilson
2017-03-30 04:20:55 UTC
Hi all,

Is anyone interested in presenting at the next CREDIT showcase (next
week) https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/CREDIT_showcase and demonstrating
the IA Upload tool? It's a good opportunity to get some more visibility
for Wikisource tools.

I'd do it, but it happens at 2 am my time.

If you're keen, put your name down at
https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/CREDIT

Thanks!

—Sam
Andrea Zanni
2017-03-30 06:58:28 UTC
I can think about it,
but we should really "check" that IA Upload tool is failproof:
last time I used it it failed quite a few times.
Not a big deal, but not in a showcase ;-)

On the other hand, this is maybe what we should show them:
how much the Wikisource community relies on volunteer-developed
infrastructure (IA-upload, Proofread extension, Phe graphs)...
Or it's a showcase of "the best" things in our community?

Aubrey
Sam Wilson
2017-03-30 07:06:52 UTC
Good point, hmm. :) But yeah, I think it's worth it even if it's just
so people can see how much more work needs to be done. Unless it
fails... although, come to think of it: the demonstration could just
end with "see, it's in the queue, and it'll be processed later!" ;-) Or
is that cheating?

It's just meant to be a showcase of whatever's going on, not
necessarily finished polished things. (I think; I've only ever watched
one on youtube.)

If you don't feel like it, I think Kaldari will do it. But you'd be
great! :-)

—Sam
Post by Andrea Zanni
I can think about it,
last time I used it it failed quite a few times.
Not a big deal, but not in a showcase ;-)
how much the Wikisource community relies on volunteer-developed
infrastructure (IA-upload, Proofread extension, Phe graphs)...
Or it's a showcase of "the best" things in our community?
Aubrey
Andrea Zanni
2017-03-30 07:09:26 UTC
Not sure if I can on Wednesday, but I'll think about it.
Also, a whole session about Wikisource would be very informative, I think,
for a lot of people in WMF and inside our movement.
But it's much more difficult to do it, and get a whole session for you.

Aubrey
Good point, hmm. :) But yeah, I think it's worth it even if it's just so
people can see how much more work needs to be done. Unless it fails...
although, come to think of it: the demonstration could just end with "see,
it's in the queue, and it'll be processed later!" ;-) Or is that cheating?
It's just meant to be a showcase of whatever's going on, not necessarily
finished polished things. (I think; I've only ever watched one on youtube.)
If you don't feel like it, I think Kaldari will do it. But you'd be great!
:-)
—Sam
I can think about it,
Sam Wilson
2017-03-30 07:17:14 UTC
That's a great idea! It needn't be too hard: if a bunch of us had a
current project to talk about for five minutes apiece, and we sent an
invite to wikimedia-l or somewhere big, it could be done don't you
think? Or maybe we just advertise our monthly hangouts more widely?

There's certainly a lack of awareness about Wikisource within the
WMF, I think.

—Sam
Post by Andrea Zanni
Not sure if I can on Wednesday, but I'll think about it.
Also, a whole session about Wikisource would be very informative, I think,
for a lot of people in WMF and inside our movement.
But it's much more difficult to do it, and get a whole session
for you.
Aubrey
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Sam Wilson
Post by Sam Wilson
__
Good point, hmm. :) But yeah, I think it's worth it even if it's just
so people can see how much more work needs to be done. Unless it
fails... although, come to think of it: the demonstration could just
end with "see, it's in the queue, and it'll be processed later!" ;-)
Or is that cheating?
It's just meant to be a showcase of whatever's going on, not
necessarily finished polished things. (I think; I've only ever
watched one on youtube.)
If you don't feel like it, I think Kaldari will do it. But you'd be
great! :-)
—Sam
I can think about it,
Andrea Zanni
2017-03-30 09:30:25 UTC
I'll ask kaldari about Credit, flying to Berlin right now.

I've long desired to make a presentation specifically for WMF, to show them
what we do, how much we rely on our own tools, and how low big, ripe fruits
hang. How many issues we have.