Creating family tree chart while proof reading
balaji
2017-04-11 13:03:20 UTC
Hi all,
There is one particular book I am proof reading in Tamil
language. There is a page which has a family tree chart. How to proof read
that. The page I am talking about can be found here
https://ta.wikisource.org/s/938 . In the current format if downloaded as
epub of rtf etc., the structure is not maintained if page size is changed.
How this can be proof read?

Regards,
J.Balaji.
Alex Brollo
2017-04-11 14:23:51 UTC
Look at it as a table, with borders for some cell. It.wikisource uses a
Template:Cs <https://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Template:Cs> (calling a
Module:Cs <https://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Modulo:Cs>), that makes easy to
add specific borders to individual cells. A little bit of colspan and
rowspan, and you'll get an "elastic" and exportable family tree chard.

Alex
mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-04-11 22:59:31 UTC
) are
probably what makes more sense in term of semantic for a tree. You'll
need some CSS to make it looks like a tree, but you can easily find
ready made example like
http://thecodeplayer.com/walkthrough/css3-family-tree

The only difficulty here, as far as I know, is that it will require
specific write access to change this CSS. That is, basic user can't edit
CSS dedicated files, they can only add inline CSS.
https://ta.wikisource.org/s/938 <https://ta.wikisource.org/s/938>
balaji
2017-04-12 07:25:00 UTC
Hi mathieu stumpf guntz ,
Thanks for your idea. It was education. as of now i have done the page
with Template:Cs
.

Thanks

mathieu stumpf guntz
2017-04-11 22:41:52 UTC
you can use unicode box drawing. I replaced characters, but it still
need some works : align layout, and adapt css line-height so box
elements can meld.

Alternativally you might look at some mediawiki extension to generate
graphs like https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graph but I'm not
skilled on that.

Cheers,
psychoslave