Pages where template include size is exceeded
balaji
2018-04-07 06:04:20 UTC
Hi,
I have created a transclusion page in ta.wikisource where some pages
are not displayed. A localised category which in English means "Pages where
template include size is exceeded"

https://translatewiki.net/wiki/MediaWiki:Post-expand-template-inclusion-category

https://translatewiki.net/wiki/MediaWiki:Post-expand-template-inclusion-category/ta

The page is https://ta.wikisource.org/s/8wuc

What to be done for all the pages to be displayed.

Regards,
J. Balaji
(User:Balajijagadesh)
ankry.wiki
2018-04-07 07:07:42 UTC
Hi,

Unfortunately, MediaWiki has some strict limits which are easily hit if creating large pages or ineffective code.
You can see parser profiling data (and limits currently set) in the bottom of a preview page.

We encounter this problem in plwikisource on some really large pages, like:
  https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Faraon/ca%C5%82o%C5%9B%C4%87
where there is a lot of transcluded text; and out solution here was to use substitution (see the code on the talk page of this page) and handle updates of substituted pages by bot.

But this is not your case.

IMO, your problem is that templates you use on the transcluded pages multiple times should be as simple as possible, avoiding calling other templates (especially if they also call templates, calling templates, ...). As you can see previewing this page in wikicode mode:

https://ta.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=பக்கம்:என஀ு_சடடகவடஎ்க்கை.pdf/19&action=edit

it generates over 110kB of transcluded code. A lot.
And I can see two possible solutions here:
- simplify the TOC templates (actually, it is more effective to use many simple dedicated templates than a single combo), or
- use a LUA module to process all necessary parameters and generate expected wikicode avoiding transferring parameters multiple times.

The latter solution is used in fr.ws & pl.ws; see

https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Szablon:SpisPozycja and
https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Modu%C5%82:Spis
(based on:
https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Module:Table )

In higly-used templates even removal of a not necessary space, semicolon, as well as shortening HTML ids, style names, template names or parameters names gives sometimes a significant effect.

Ankry

W dniu 2018-04-07 08:04:20 uÅŒytkownik balaji <***@gmail.com> napisał:
Hi,
     I have created a transclusion page in ta.wikisource where some pages are not displayed. A localised category which in English means "Pages where template include size is exceeded"

billinghurst
2018-04-07 11:50:26 UTC
The templates "Dotted TOC ..." were experimental templates that were
never finished and are notoriously inefficient. I refuse to use them. Do
simpler tables and don't worry about the dot leaders.

-- Billinghurst