Scanner for you?
Carles Paredes Lanau
2017-05-07 18:18:34 UTC
I'm writing to this list because we have got an scanner to share with any
European chapter interested in working with institutions or for internal
use of Wikimedia communities.

Amical Wikimedia purchased and assembled The Archivist, DIY Book Scanner (
http://diybookscanner.org/archivist/) in March 2015. We wanted to work with
several partners from our GLAM network, to help them to free resources and
scan documents previously not avaliable for general public. We began a
pilot project in Maritime Museum of Barcelona, a museum with whom we had
already worked in the past and with the proper mindset. We had a member
from Amical working there as professional librarian, too, so it was easier
to implement the project. We provided a volunteer to assist the museum in
tech issues. You can check the books scanned in the following link:
https://archive.org/details/bibliotecammb586. It was an interesting project
with relevant results. However, we decided to discontinue it because it
needed a close assistant we could no longer offer and people from the
museum weren't comfortable working with it, since it was very different
from the scanners they used in the past.

That's why we want to offer the scanner to other Wikisource communities or
to some chapter with volunteers wanting to continue digitalisation
projects. If there's anyone interested in having a The Archivist model,
please answer back this mail so we can discuss how to handle it.

Thanks in advanced.

Carles Paredes (KRLS)
Amical Wikimedia
Federico Leva (Nemo)
2017-05-08 06:32:02 UTC
Thanks for this update on the DIY scanner projects.
Post by Carles Paredes Lanau
https://archive.org/details/bibliotecammb586
Only one? Or do you mean all the 89 items in
https://archive.org/details/bibliotecammb ?
Post by Carles Paredes Lanau
people
from the museum weren't comfortable working with it, since it was very
different from the scanners they used in the past.
Interesting. Is there a description, even on the DIY scanner forums, of
what differences were most impactful for them?

Nemo
Andrea Zanni
Nicolas VIGNERON
2017-05-08 12:50:35 UTC
Hi,

Thanks for the proposal but Wikimédia France already has one (is it the
same ?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Book_scanners_of_Wikimedia_France
) that is not often used (indeed it needs some tech skills and time).

I don't recall if Wikimedia CH already has one or is currently
buying/building one (I know it was discuss). Yann: can you tell us?

Cdlt, ~nicolas
scann
2017-05-08 16:51:23 UTC
Hi Nicolas,

That's a Hackerspace scanner (Carles seems to have The Archivist one, which
has some differences).

I'm part of the DIY Book Scanner project, so if you have any feedback over
why the project didn't work, it would be more than interesting to hear it.

Maybe you also want to check out the new software that has been released to
control the cameras: https://github.com/Tenrec-Builders/pi-scan

It works for more camertas than the Powershot IXUS160, it depends a lot of
how the CHDK was build, but right now I know that there are some other
projects that has tested the PiScan with other models of cameras and it
works pretty well. Using PiScan in combination with the MarkersCrop:
https://github.com/Tenrec-Builders/marker-crop makes a lot of the workflow
easier.

I'm also more than happy to provide some help on how to make a decent
software workflow for the BS. I know this tends to be a major bottleneck
(specially if you are using Linux and the library is used to work with
Windows), but it can be sorted it out.

Best,
Scann
Sam Wilson
2017-05-08 22:55:32 UTC
Wikimedia Australia (the western branch of it anyway) is about to start
a three-month residency at the State Library of Western Australia, and
we've got an office (which I'll be working from pretty much full time).
If it's a success, perhaps in a few months' time I'd love to be able to
put my hand up for WMAU to be custodians of a book scanner!
But probably postage to Australia would be too much. :-)

—Sam